Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chronic Pancreatitis

Definition
Chronic pancreatitis, is a continuing, chronic inflammatory process of the pancreas, characterized by irreversible histological and functional changes.


Epidemiology
35–45 years (usually related to alcohol)
M>F

Aetiology
TIGAR-O Classification: Risk Factors Associated with Chronic Pancreatitis:
Toxic-metabolicchronic alcohol use (70% of pt), chronic renal failure, Hypercalcemia (hyperparathyroidism), Hyperlipidemia (rare), Medications, Tobacco, Toxins
IdiopathicEarly and late onset
Tropical pancreatitis (tropical calcific pancreatitis and fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes)
GeneticAutosomal dominant, or
Autosomal recessive modifier genes- eg  CTFR in cystic fibrosis (commonest cause in children)
AutoimmuneAutoimmune chronic pancreatitis associated with inflammatory bowel disease, Sjögren syndrome, primary biliary cirrhosis
Isolated autoimmune chronic pancreatitis
Recurrent/severe acute pancreatitisPostirradiation, Postnecrotic (severe acute pancreatitis), Recurrent acute pancreatitis, Vascular ischemia
ObstructivePancreas divisum
Sphincter of Oddi disorders
Duct obstruction (pancreatic or ampullary tumors, posttraumatic pancreatic duct fibrosis)

Pathophysiology
CBD obstruction leads to biliary stasis,bacterial overgrowth, suppuration, and biliary sepsis.
Causes: choledocholithiasis (60%), biliary tract manipulation, pancreatic or biliary neoplasm

Presentation
  • intermittent attacks of severe pain, often in the mid or left upper abdomen and occasionally radiating in a bandlike fashion or localized to the mid back. The pain may occur either after meals or independently of meals, but it is not fleeting or transient and tends to last at least several hours.
  • erythema ab igne’s mottled dusky greyness), bloating, steatorrhoea, ↓ weight, brittle diabetes. Symptoms relapse and worsen
Differential diagnosis
Acute cholecystitis
Acute pancreatitis
Intestinal ischemia or infarction
Obstruction of common bile duct
Pancreatic tumors
Peptic ulcer disease
Renal insufficiency

Investigation
FBCElevated with infection, abscess
amylase, lipasenon-specific for chronic pancreatitis. Llipase may not be ↑
Fecal tests> 7 g fat per day is abnormal; quantitative; requires 72 hours; should be on a diet of 100 g fat per day
Maldigestion and malabsorption if >90% of pancrease is destroyed
Faecal elastase < 200 mcg per g (0.20 g per kg) of stool is abnormal; noninvasive; exogenous pancreatic supplementation will not alter results; requires only 20 g of stool
Pancreatic function tests
  • Direct tests: Determination in duodenal aspirate and pancreatic juice
  • Indirect tests:  oral administration of a complex substance that is hydrolyzed by a specific pancreatic enzyme to release a marker substance
Secretin stimulation test Peak bicarbonate concentration < 80 mEq per L (80 mmol per L) in duodenal secretion; best test for diagnosing pancreatic exocrine insufficienc
Serum trypsinogen< 20 ng per mL (0.83 nmol per L) is abnormal
LFTAlk Phos, Bilirubin ↑ in biliary pancreatitis and ductal obstruction by strictures or mass
breath test13C-hiolien - for PUD
Lipid panelSignificantly elevated triglycerides are a rare cause of chronic pancreatitis
CalciumHyperparathyroidism is a rare cause of chronic pancreatitis
IgG4For autoimmune: ESR, IgG4, rheumatoid factor, ANA ↑
AXRspeckled pancreatic calcification is pathognomonic (3% of cases)
Abdominal U/Sshows changes in the size, shape contour, and echotexture of the pancreas
Picture: Transverse sonogram shows an echogenic, enlarged pancreas with multiple small hyperechoic nonshadowing foci in the pancreas
*Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) is more sensitive
CTsensitivity: 80% and spesificity: 85%
Focal enlargement associated with calcification or ductal dilatation in a mass is suggestive of chronic pancreatitis.
Normal finding does not rule out chronic pancreatitis
MRIIn most patients, a normal pancreatic duct is seen
characteristic beaded appearance ( round filling defects) of the pancreatic duct
ERCPEndoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: ERCP
Advantages: most accurate visualization of the pancreatic ductal system, therapeutic
Disadvantages :invasive, expensive, requires complete opacification of the pancreatic duct to visualize side branches, and carries a risk of pancreatitis.
MRCPMagnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP
)
Advantages: safe, reasonably accurate, noninvasive, fast, and very useful in planning surgical or endoscopic intervention, can visualize pancreatic parenchyma
Disadvantages: Not therapeutic
FDG-PETrule out pancreatic carcinoma


Management
MedicalAnalgesics (stepwise approach)
hydration, electrolyte correction, broad spectrum Ab.
Antidepressants (treatment of concurrent depression)
Cessation of alcohol and tobacco use
Denervation (celiac nerve blocks, transthoracic splanchnicectomy)
long-term insulin therapy (for pancreatic diabetes)
Low-fat diet and small meals
lipase (eg Creon)
Pancreatic enzymes with proton pump inhibitors or histamine H2 blockers
Steroid therapy (in autoimmune pancreatitis)
Vitamin supplementation (A, D, E, K, and B12)
EndoscopicExtracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy with or without endoscopy
Pancreatic sphincterotomy and stent placement for pain relief
Transampullary or transgastric drainage of pseudocys
SurgicalIndication
  • Biliary or pancreatic stricture
  • Duodenal stenosis
  • Fistulas (peritoneal or pleural effusion)
  • Hemorrhage
  • Intractable chronic abdominal pain
  • Pseudocysts
  • Suspected pancreatic neoplasm
  • Vascular complications
Types:
DecompressionLateral pancreaticojejunostomy (most common)
Cystenterostomy
Sphincterotomy or sphincteroplasty
ResectionDistal or total pancreatectomy
Pancreatoduodenectomy (Whipple procedure, pylorus-preserving, duodenum-preserving)
Click here for details of surgery
Not recommendedAllopurinol (Zyloprim)
Antioxidant therapy (vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium [Selepen*], methionine [Uracid])
Octreotide (Sandostatin)
Prokinetic agents (erythromycin)

Complications
Complication
Incidence (%)
Acute pancreatitisRecurrent
Chronic pain80 to 90
Diabetes mellitus> 40
Weight loss> 40
Pancreatic cancer15 to 40
Pseudocyst25 to 30
Malabsorption and steatorrhea10 to 15
Bile duct, duodenal, or gastric obstruction5 to 10
Pancreatic ascites or pleural effusion< 10
Splenic or portal vein thrombosis< 1
Pseudoaneurysm, especially of splenic artery< 1
Vitamin deficiency (A, D*, E, K and B12)Rare

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting. This is really helpful for chronic pancreatitis problems. I have been reading this blog for quite some time now and I have learned a lot. Thank you for sharing this blog.

Anonymous said...

i suffered with chronic pancreatitis disease for 4 years,i Searching for a more natural approach to add to my current regime,i have have been using a number of alternative means and she still has experience Tremor despite what the western medicine practitioners predicted,nothing was going through until I found this website http://abumereherbalcentre.com which they said the doctor has power over chronic pancreatitis disease,so i contacted them via email and i got responds immediately.after receiving the herbal remedies which was used as instructed by the Dr,in three weeks time i went back to my doctor and i was told that totally free of chronic pancreatitis disease.
i never thought this herbal medicine will work through but base on the testimonies seeing online concerning this doctor that he cure so many diseases that was why i happily contacted him,you can as well contact them if you have any health problem/disease via http: // www. abumereherbalcentre . com (abumereherbalcentre@ gmail . com )

Sindi Moloi said...

I was not really having a problem breathing at first. My throat was burning; I thought I had strep throat. I had pain in my neck, and there was swelling around my collar bone. The first doctor I went to said he did not know why there was swelling. He gave me antibiotics and told me that if the swelling was not better to come back in two weeks. I went back in two weeks and he said he did not know what was wrong. Since I do not have insurance, I went to a hospital emergency room, and they said I have COPD.The disease does not improve. My "good days" are far and few these days. My dad and his dad died from this. I am only writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my condition.I started on COPD herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic,i read reviews from other previous patients who used the herbal formula, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the COPD natural herbal formula. i am now doing very well, my lungs are totally repaired!! Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net

Adams Joan said...

I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

Tamara Barrow said...

MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY

My mouth is short of words, i am so happy because Dr voodoo has healed me
from HIV which i have been suffering from the past 5years now, i have
spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, i have
tried all means in life to always i can become HIV negative one day, but
there was no answer until i found Dr voodoo the parish of African who
provide me some healing herbs that i uses , now i am glad telling everyone
that i am now HIV Negative, i am very happy, thank you Dr voodoo for
helping my life comes back newly without any form of crisis, may the good
lord that i serve blessed you Dr voodoo and equip you to the higher grade
for healing my life. i am so amazed. so i will announced to everyone in
this whole world that is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get
healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly
type,contact Dr voodoo for your HIV healing herbs today at:
voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com He will be always happy to assist you
online and ensure you get healed on time, contact Dr voodoo today for
your healing hearbs immediately, you can also
add him on whatsApp +2348140120719 thank you sir.

LORI HIRST said...

I was born HIV positive.at the age of 16 I lost my mother because of the HIV infection And I regretted why i never met Dr James who could have cured my mum for me because as a single other it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr James and his herbal exploit online about how he cured all kind of human diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes, Parkinson, Asthma, Autism,Copd, Epilepsy, Shingles, Cold Sore, Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Love Spell, Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer, Glaucoma., psoriasis, Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts, Muscular degeneration, Infectious mononucleosis., Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis,
Dementia, Breast Cancer, Blood Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Love Spell, Chronic Diarrhea, Ataxia, Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis, Weak Erection, Breast Enlargment, Penis Enlargment,Hpv, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Diabetes Hepatitis and Cancer I was so excited but frighten at the same time because I did not come across such article on the internet then I contacted Dr James on his {EMAIL drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com}. I also talked with him on {what's app +2348152855846} he tells me how it works then I told him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I received my herbal medicine within 3/4 working days and I used the herbal medicine as he prescribed for me MORNING AND NIGHT and here living healthy again can imagine how good use men to manifest h and powerful DR JAMES HERBAL MIXED MEDICINE works I'm writing this article in appreciation to thank Dr James and to let you all know there is a cure for HIV/AIDS.THANK YOU

Designed by Irfan Ziad • Copyleft under Creative Commons Attribution • Watermark Template • Powered by Blogger